Sunday, May 1, 2011

Jamey, full circle

Remember this little guy?


Well, he moved to California and became a star on the show table earning 46 grand champion legs.


But there comes a time in all angora's lives when they have to be cut down.  And if your good, you will get this in the mail:


And if you are REALLY good you take that mountain of fiber and turn it into this:


So far I have 160 yards of prime fiber spun.   I think I will get about 140 more yards plus an additional 80 or so from brushings.  Betty was careful to save every last bit with a total weight of 7 and 3/4 ounces.


The skein on the right is Jamey, the one on the left is Sweetpea.  I couldn't imagine there would be such a difference between the same breed of animal and the same color, but there is.  Without saying anything too disparaging about Sweetpea, she is not the quality of animal that Jamey is.  However, I have coveted her fiber for the last 7 years as I am partial to black English Angora.  Then I got a dose of Jamey...  He has such a lovely sheen and a more lively coat which may be in part to him being younger as well.  In the grand scheme of things, you would not be able to tell the difference between the two if you were wearing either one.  It's just a difference this fiber freak has noticed:)


No comments: